Wednesday, March 26, 2014

You Are What You Wear

After watching the documentary called MISSrepresentation in class, I started to become more aware of sexist comments in the media. Specifically referring to women in a professional position. I saw a video on the Huffington Post of a news anchor making an extremely offensive comment. (video)


The man in the video said that women should use their bodies as an asset to help them be successful in court. This made me think about sexism in the workplace. Women are often put under the spotlight for what we wear in a professional setting. Not because of the quality of the clothes, but how they fit our bodies. One woman could be accused of looking inappropriate because of her body type and how the clothes look on her while another could be ignored. This is something that should not be happening. 

A woman should never have to feel like she should use this method to command attention. The news anchor is basically saying it would be strategic to show off your body so that men would be distracted. Because obviously women aren't smart enough to succeed otherwise. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisi,

    I didn't see a link to a post for this quarter so I just chose this one because I have seen the film and I participated in a panel discussion after a viewing with NTHS parents (mostly Moms) and students (mostly daughters).

    This piece you wrote, "One woman could be accused of looking inappropriate because of her body type and how the clothes look on her while another could be ignored", I found a bit confusing. I think it needs further development.

    I think this post could be stronger if you quote from the FOX news anchor and analyze his words. You could also be more critical of the media itself. WHY is the FOX news anchor saying that? WHY is HuffPo publicizing his statement? It may not be obvious to your reader.

    ReplyDelete