Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Newest Thing on Your Wish List

Unless you haven't been on safari on an apple product today, you probably know that a whole new line of iPhones have been released. The story automatically came up on my home screen on my iPad, Macbook and iPhone so after seeing it multiple times I figured it was necessary to see what the team of geniuses had come up with. I watched the whole video all the while asking myself the same questions I do every time I am confronted with a new apple product: What makes this so much better than every other smart phone? What is different about this one compared to the last release? Is it worth begging my parents for? According to Jony Ives (Senior Vice President of Design at Apple) "The iPhone 5c is in many ways the distillation of what people love about the iPhone 5. It's simpler, more essential, yet its more capable." This seems to be such a hard thing to do especially with technology, but somehow I believe that Apple accomplishes this task with every new product that they release. This is how they move forward in technology and beat the competition. While winning to some companies might mean the most complicated product, Apple knows better. They make things simpler and give people what they want without them really knowing what to ask for. He later goes on to describe the iPhone as an "experience," which I think is accurate. The iPhone is the best on the market because amongst all the competition and innovation happening in the world of technology, Apple finds a way to appeal to both those who are interested in exploring all of its capabilities and those who prefer a basic and easy- to- use product. The iPhone is "Something is familiar but new at the same time." I think this is the key to their success. When shopping for a phone I do not want to be introduced to an entire new software. Apple has found a way to work itself into to lives of so many Americans. For example, our school is expected to have almost every class be an iPad class by the end of the year. They have spread their influence to foreign countries as well. Even my dad (who doesn't know what "idk" means) is anxious to get his hands on the new iPhone! 




2 comments:

  1. I don't really see how this is that big of a deal. Americans (especially people in upper-middle to upper-class neighborhoods) always find a need for the latest and greatest new Apple product. I am not sure whether that is due to the fact that there is a pressure to have the newest version which is created by people in wealthier communities or if that is because Apple pushes users to buy a new device, so it is compatible with the new software. From my experience, that is nothing more than perceived obsolescence, not a true need to get the new iPhone. I am certainly a fan of Apple's mission to create a user-friendly device, but I see this release as just another gem added onto the tiara. Meaning that the new additions to the iPhone 5 are frivolous, but cool nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I respect Josh's opinion, I would actually have to disagree, I believe this issue is extremely relevant in our society today as the hunger for the latest and greatest is a major part of American Culture. And the influence of the Apple Product in pioneering new frontiers in technology is incredible, as Lisi mentioned, now we are not only using them as our favorite cellular device, but also a required school material. And the great thing about this new iphone is that is is not just a newer version for the wealthier communities the Iphone 5c is actually geared towards families of lower income who cannot afford the glass iphones. The iphone 5c is plastic and comes in a variety of colors and is about half the price of the glass iphone.

    ReplyDelete